Soap box: car seat/child passenger safety

I haven't blogged about car seat safety before, mostly because my dear friend blogged so well about it HEREI have to say, I am so grateful that this same dear friend was a stay-at-home mom for over a year because it allowed her to impart her wisdom found researching while at home.

The main thing being REAR FACING.  Recently the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) changed their standpoint on how long a child should remain rear-facing in his/her car seat.  They now recommend the child rear face UNTIL age two, longer if possible.  I didn't know this, and sadly, my pediatrician is sharing outdated research with her hundreds of patients.  She continues to ask me if Ayla is forward facing, to which I reiterate to her the AAP's recommendation and research.  It makes me sad to know that many, many other pediatricians are continuing to promote this outdated practice to their families.

I have tried to share the information in a non-threatening, non-judgmental way, just as it was presented to me.  However, the feedback I've gotten has been ridiculous, judgmental, and borderline hostile.  So let me just say, I don't give a rip about people's opinions on the matter.  I have watched the crash test videos.  I have read the true life stories about toddlers (not just infants) whose lives have been SAVED because their parents practice extended rear-facing (ERF).  

People have said, "Isn't she a little old to be rear-facing still?"  No, I love her enough to keep her as safe as possible.  By that logic, I then imagine she is too old for me to keep socket covers in our outlets.  Huh??

"They get uncomfortable."  Ayla has never once had a problem. Toddlers are flexible.  If I was rear-facing with the years of wear and tear to my body, yeah, I might be uncomfortable, but guess what?  She doesn't know any different!

It goes on and on.  I watch parents who allow their very very young children to be in a booster when in fact, it is now also recommended that toddlers stay in a 5 point harness as long as possible.  This does not mean they stay in an infant seat or even a convertible until they are 5.  It means that instead of buying a booster, which most people use improperly and too soon, you buy a 5 point harnessed booster.  They are available.  I urge all parents to read the story of Kyle David Miller.  He was big enough for a "typical" booster seat.  His parents followed the rules.  And he died because the seat belt failed while in use with his booster.  His sister sat next to him, in the same seat.  Her seat belt did not fail.  Let me tell you, I've learned that seat belt failure is not uncommon in collisions.  The family of Kyle now has moved forward, using their tragedy to help families understand the importance of 5 point boosters for young children (once they've outgrown rear-facing and the limits of their convertible seat).  

I don't give a crap what looks "cool" or seems "weird."  If Ayla is in her booster at age 5, so be it.  I watch parents go to great lengths to protect their children, but then turn away from RESEARCH based, life saving recommendations.  I want her to be safe.  I know how frequently car accidents occur and that it is the leading cause of death in toddler aged children.  Why would I do anything less than my best to make sure I am doing the safest thing possible?

I watch children ride in the front seat when they can't even see out the windshield.  Ayla will ride in the backseat of our vehicles until she is both old enough and heavy enough to sit up front.  She will probably be 13 or 14 when she meets both requirements.  It is recommended that a child is 13 (due to bone density) and 100 lbs before riding in front.  I don't care how much she wants to ride up front as a kindergartner or a 2nd grader or a 6th grader.  I'd rather be an 'uptight' parent and her an uncool kid than have her be disabled or killed, if God forbid, we should be in a collision.

I'm not passing judgment, but I just don't understand the "logic" people have given me about why their child doesn't fit under the guidelines put in place for the safest car ride possible.  And I am certainly sick of hearing the nonsense people say to me when making their own judgment call about why I choose to secure my daughter the way I do.  Now there is no question why I do what I do.  Now everyone knows.

Comments

  1. :)

    Long-ish story kind of short: One of the fourth graders' parents is a Biomedical Engineer who specializes in creating and testing the most human like crash test dummies. I asked him about RFing and he said, honestly, we would all be safer RFing. Since that is obviously a problem for the driver, he doesn't recommend that but we should keep kids facing back as long as possible (per seat height/weight limits). And his 4th grader is still in a booster. So there is someone who is doing the research at a major research University confirming what we're doing :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Babies

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

San Pellegrino, Juicy Juice, and Gerber--oh my!