Migraines

Migraines are the bane of my existence at this moment.  They rob me of so much...the ability to work out, the ability to run and play with my daughter...the ability to function properly.  

I often wonder, when seeing an advertisement for migraine remedies, why do the models look like this...
Source

Or this...
Source

And this...
Source  
Seriously folks, I don't look like any of these lovely ladies on a GOOD migraine-free day, so why on earth would we depict a migraine like this?  It looks somewhat glamorous.  It looks less than painful...more of an irritation or annoyance.  Anyone who suffers any kind of headaches/migraines/tension headaches/cluster headaches/sinus headaches knows that a migraine looks more like this...
Source
 And this...
Source  
I swear the next time I'm writhing in excruciating pain, I'm going to have Brandon snap a few photos so that people can see what a migraine really looks like.

I find it extremely disheartening that the medical community doesn't seem to care.  There aren't any "find a cure for migraine" bracelets or 5ks or fundraisers that I know of.  If there are any, they aren't very well known.  I understand the importance of curing terminal illnesses, such as cancer and AIDS, but I have to ask: what about quality of life?  When you are in so much pain (not exaggerating, like some people think...migraine sufferers are the toughest people I've ever met) that dying seems to be an acceptable option, how rich is your quality of life?  And speaking of terminal illnesses, did you know a study shows that 1 in 5 cancer survivors experience chronic pain, sometimes lasting an indefinite amount of time?  Pain also leads to extreme depression in many, due to the lack of understanding, support, and the things it robs people of (social experiences, relationships, work success, etc.)

Pain is a problem our healthcare system fails at solving.  I say this boldly because I've experienced such medial atrocities in my 15 years of suffering, it isn't excusable.  When are we going to wake up and stop treating people with REAL physical problems that cause unbearable pain like suffering humans instead of mental cases?  When will we get it right?

Comments

  1. The second picture (of the one's of your choosing) is exactly how my migraines feel. Brilliant illustation, terrible reality. I have thankfully not had one for over a year, but still have no idea what was causing them when I did. Are you on any birth control? I think that hormones were my trigger for sure. I feel your pain girl, and think you hit the nail on the head (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steph! I am not on any BC (I got pregnant on BC last time...haha). Sometimes hormones can be a trigger, but a lot of times there is no "real" trigger. My doc prescribed me a medication that should help. I just hate taking meds, but when all the natural alternatives don't work, there's little choice if I want to function. Thanks for commenting...I love keeping up with your blog as well. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Babies

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

San Pellegrino, Juicy Juice, and Gerber--oh my!