Life is a Verb...

Life is a Verb: 37 Days to Wake Up, Be Mindful, and Live Intentionally

I'm reading a new book on my Kindle, and I'm really enjoying it (thanks to Ette for funding this special birthday purchase) so far.  It starts off talking about how the author's stepdad was diagnosed with lung cancer and died 37 days later.  It goes on to talk about how eventually we are all 37 days away from our own death...

The question is not a new one: how would you spend those days?  The author goes on to explain that as a mother of small children, we probably wouldn't spend it doing wild, crazy, extravagant things like going around the world.  Nor would we spend the time dusting and scrubbing and organizing and straightening the house.  Instead, we'd eat more pancakes and play harder and all those things we do on "special occasions." 

Another point the author makes is that what we write is the legacy we leave behind.  She even went on to talk about how our children deserve to know us as humans, to know our stories, to know the people we are separate from them.  Now, I don't know if I will ever feel separate from my daughter, but as I've blogged before, there are things that have made me who I am, things that have created and are creating the mother she knows and loves.  The book has sections and writing prompts that are supposed to encourage candid and genuine writing to leave behind or spark something else that we can leave behind...

In the upcoming year, I hope to blog many stories and thoughts that I can someday leave behind as a legacy to the generations to come after me.  For Ayla and the sibling(s) I hope she will have in the future.  More than that, I hope to photograph the "little" things in our lives because those things, the little ones, are often the treasures I wish I had in some tangible way, through a richly written memory or a photograph capturing the moment.

37 days.  I know if I had 37 days left, I probably wouldn't waste my time in front of the tube, the FB, or any number of things that are not really the priority.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Babies

Surreal

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."