Friendship.

I used to believe that I was a really great friend.  Sometimes I still believe that.  

On the flip side, I also know I can talk too much and be too opinionated.  I make a conscious effort to listen more, but I don't think my opinionated-ness is going anywhere.

Many times, I have made an effort to go above and beyond for my friends.  I really would do anything for my friends.  No doubt, there have been times when I have been all-consumed with  my own life-work, toddler, etc, etc-to be a truly good friend.  I have my many regrets.

No matter what, I truly appreciate my friends.  I appreciate the friends (and family of course) that went out of their way to come to our wedding.  The friends and family who didn't utter a word about our catering disaster (who I will recommend that you NEVER hire for anything) at our wedding.  Everyone braved the storm, hugged and kissed us, and supported and complimented the one wedding day we got, no matter how many crazy events occurred.  I can say that those things is far more than many of our FAMILY members offered us.  We had several family members who didn't so much as call us to congratulate us, send us a card, or even take 5 seconds out of their day to send a text.  I'm not even talking about gifts because that isn't the point-the only thing we truly wanted was to be surrounded by love.  And we were.  By the people that matter the most.  

It has certainly made my appreciate those in our lives that support us always, even when we don't always have time for them.  We've reflected on how we respond to the big and small events in the people's lives around us.  And we strive to get better. 


As the days and weeks go by, I am continually thankful for what I have.  I also have spent a lot of time reflecting the friendships in my life.  Do you ever feel that you put forth so much effort in a particular friendship and yet receive little in return?  (Side note-to anyone who I have made feel this way, I am truly sorry).  I am going through some of that right now.  From the outside, it seems that there is no time or space for me.  Perhaps it is one of those "friends for a reason, season, or whatever" situations.  Maybe it is just me over analyzing.

Any thoughts?  How are you successful as a friend?  Where do you fall short?  When do you walk away from a friendship, if at all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Babies

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

San Pellegrino, Juicy Juice, and Gerber--oh my!