"Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes...How do you measure, measure a year?"

December is almost here!  December is this week.  This year, like last year, has flown by so fast.  Summer break flew by, then Thanksgiving break.  Three work weeks until Christmas break.  I am so excited for Christmas break, let me tell you!  

When I was younger, I remember my parents and other adults talking about how fast time flew by.  I didn't understand back then, but I certainly do now. For instance, I remember once asking my dad how old he was.  His reply was, "Twenty-seven."  "Dad, you're old!" I told him.  On December 31, I will be turning 27.  Brandon just turned 27.  My daughter is 1-1/2.  I remember when she was just 1-1/2 days old.  I remember when we measured her age in weeks.  Now it is in months. Before I know it, we'll be counting her age in years, just like we do for ourselves.


Somehow, I think having the job of a teacher seems to make the time fly by even faster.  My job is punctuated by holiday breaks and spring break.  Punctuated by interim periods, 9-week grading periods, and from test to endless test.  Many times I've told my students about a teacher, Carrie Gasche, who made a huge difference in my life. When I first met her, she was an intern teacher in my 4th grade class.  We later reconnected, and she is just so special to me, even though we don't get to talk often.  She impacted my life in a huge way, and I am grateful that I get to be her friend in my adulthood.  Someday, my students will be adults, and I hope that I get to hear or see what great things they will become.


My puppy, Boo, is not much of a puppy anymore either.  She'll be 4 on Easter, and our little baby, Oscar, will be 1 on New Year's Day.  My brother and sister-in-law are the parents to 3 little ones, and my little sister will be a senior next year, with her heart already set on becoming a doctor.


Because our precious little time goes by so quickly, I find myself wondering how we waste so much of it.  I, for one, am quite guilty of this offense.  I watch too much television and spend far too much time on the computer, Facebook namely.  My house is never clean, the time I spend in the great outdoors is limited, and I think that I need to do something to change how I spend my time.  Brandon and I recently got into a discussion about how things are predictable.  Now, this isn't necessarily always a bad thing, but I think that becoming too stagnant is definitely a negative.  Perhaps I will make a right-now resolution to find better ways to occupy the little time I have between working, eating, showering, and sleeping.


I wonder if anyone else has found themselves in this predicament, as well...

"How about love?  Measure in love.  Seasons of love." -Rent

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surreal

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

Neglecting Mama