Meet the other Kiddos

Driving home tonight from some couponing at Publix, I was thinking to myself that I haven't really written about my other "babies" in my blog.  

Our first dog was rescued by Brandon up at the SPCA in Orlando.  We decided on a different dog that was days from her demise, but luckily when Brandon went to see her, she'd already found a (hopefully) forever home.  Then, there was Boo.  We bantered back and forth while walking down the beach during one of the tumultuous times in our relationship, discussing names for the dog we put our hopes into.  Somehow, we came to the agreement that we both liked Boo.  Sidenote: the first dog I had as a little girl was named Bo Jangles.  My dad let me pick him out.  He was a german shepherd and my best buddy as a little girl.  When we had to let him go to a home with more wide-open spaces, my heart broke and so did my dad's.  So...pretty exciting getting a dog.  When I drove to Orlando to see Brandon and meet our new puppy, I was terrified.  She was this big girl, red and white, with a spot right on her forehead.  And when I tried to walk her, I got taken on a wild ride.  Anywho, our Boo turned out to be quite the "Marley" dog while she lived with Brandon's mom (whom we are so grateful to), eating her out of couch and chairs.  She was a nervous dog from the beginning, terrified dreadfully of thunderstorms especially.  She has always hated being left alone, and she is a nervous/excited licker.  Addicted to licking.  Annoying as can be, but I'll miss it someday I know.

Boo girl went through two round of puppy school, and she was definitely the class clown.  She's a beautiful dog, and we had to stop taking her to the dog park because she 
was being humped in the face by all those pervy boy dogs.  Needless to say, this caused her to become rather defensive upon further returns to the parks.  

When we brought Ayla home, Boo was not with us for the first week.  She came home when Ayla was a week old, and they were instant buds.  If Ayla cried and we didn't respond within say, 2 seconds, Boo was whining at us and leading us to Ayla.  Never have I seen a dog walk on eggshells around a baby like our lab/boxer/beagle/something mixed up mutt.  She keeps my feet warm at night, and she loves us unconditionally.  At the end of the day, Brandon is the one she will listen to the best.  I'm guessing she remembers who saved her that day 2-1/2 years ago.

Then came Oscar.  I told Brandon for mother's day I wanted a mother's ring or a puppy friend for Boo.  We fell in love with a girl Boston Terrier on craiglist by the name of Lucy.  As fate would have it, Lucy was already promised to another owner.  We scoured the county looking for other Bostons to no avail.  When we went to the pound, the dogs all had distemper, so we drove to find a pet store that was out of business.  I had resigned to the fact that we wouldn't find another Boston, but I happened to look on craiglist one last time.  At the top of the list for a price we couldn't beat, there was a 4-month old male Boston.  We drove to meet him, and when we saw little "Monty" we were in love.  Excitingly, he was around a baby girl from a very young age.  The couple just couldn't keep up with him, and we should've known we were in for it when she told us his theme song was "Bad Boy."  

What a rascal this little guy has turned out to be.  Pooping.  Peeing.  Up throughout the night.  I felt like I had another (hairier) child.  Wow!  But...he loves Ayla, and he has calmed Boo's separation anxiety problems significantly (glad that plan didn't backfire).  Once we neutered him, we were convinced things would get better.  Nope.  The little monster eats his own poo and then pukes it, and he continued doing his dirty deed throughout the house.  He likes to chew baby socks and searches out my bras wherever he can find them (and he goes to great lengths, I tell you).  Now that he is approaching age 1, he has matured quite a bit, and when he's the dog in the house, he's a little puddle of needy, wrinkley cuteness.  He wants to snuggle and nap as close to me as he can.  Thankfully, he has grown on Brandon like a fungus that you can't quite get rid of, and Ayla says "Oskie, Oskie" in between moments of telling him "Get.  Bad butt."

A dog is a man's best friend, right?  To us, our dogs are family.  We can't stand them, but we love them anyway. (wink)

Comments

  1. I love reading your blogs, and I am really glad to read that Boo was soo good with Ayla. We have 2 dogs, one I have no worries about, but the other is just a baby and it makes me kind of nervous that she will get jealous of the time I have to spend with the baby. She is a mommas girl without a doubt. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surreal

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

Neglecting Mama