Wedding madness

For most of the day, my mind, time, and energy has been devoted to the planning and daydreaming of our wedding.   It is hard to believe that at this time next year, I will be a newlywed.  A newlywed with a two-and-a-nearly-half year old daughter, at that!  

The number one thing I have dreaded about having a wedding is the wedding dress shopping.  In my mind, I've considered not shopping for a dress until the last minute or even having a courthouse wedding just to avoid trying on dresses in my current state of weight.

Based on the recommendations of a couple of my girlfriends, I decided to start at a local shop called Elda's.  The owner, Kristine, and the consultant, Ericka, were wonderful.  I certainly think they ooh-ed and ahh-ed a little more than I found believable, but then again, maybe I'm wrong.  I tried on several dresses, including some that didn't even make it out of the dressing room.  My decision came down to a beautiful satin Alfred Angelo and an organza Ella gown.  After trying on the Alfred for the second time, I realized how the Ella gown, which I wasn't sure about at first, was perfect for me.  If I got married tomorrow, I could walk down the aisle in a dress that I feel pretty in, even though I'm 30 lbs overweight.  

We've been discussing caterers, venues, and various other aspects of the wedding, and I am excited and overwhelmed.  Our life is the life of a married couple.  We bicker over silly things, we help each other and work as a team to raise our daughter into the kind of person we are so proud of, and we love each other with steadfast commitment.

All my life, I've been a bit of a paradox.  On one hand, I am traditional and classic, yet on the other hand, I am totally quirky and out of the box.  Kind of like chocolate covered pretzels.  Salty yet sweet. 

So many times, I have questioned why on earth Brandon loves me so much or treats me like no other man ever has.  I guess with my track record of less than savory boyfriends, I am amazed that I can be loved by a man that is wonderful, kind, gracious, funny, and thoughtful.  Now, I am in this place where I always hoped, but never dreamed, I would be.  I am a fiancee'.  I am going to be somebody's wife.  And I get to be a mother.  Never in a million years would I have believed that this would be my life right now if you had forecast it for me.  

At the end of the day, when the wedding madness has taken over, I vow to take a breath and kiss my fiance' and hug my daughter...because when it comes down to it, that is why I am getting married.  To put the icing on the cupcake of my family life.  To make it "official."  It isn't about the fanciest dress or most lavishly decorated ceremony.  My vision is to have a big celebration with the family and friends that love us and love that we get to be together in this crazy life.

Goodnight. 

Comments

  1. It always surprises me how the best people question when blessings come their way. God made you who you are and Brandon can see all of you and he must see all the things you cannot. You may not be perfect-but your imperfections along with his will make for a fun, interesting, committed life. I wish you many blessings and will love hearing about all your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting all day for a wedding post. Thanks for not disappointing me :) So happy you found a dress and more importantly a wonderful Brandon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Babies

Surreal

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."