Acronyms and things we say.

Do people actually talk anymore?  How often do we have meaningful conversations?

I started to think of all this when I realized how much of my adult life has been inundated with acronyms.  First of all, teaching is full of them.  NCLB. AYP. PDP. PMP. IEP. RTI. ESE. ELL. FCAT. SAT. ACT. FELE. SAE. CYA (okay, I just threw that last one in there...) I think the premise behind something matters far more than the words we use to describe it, but then again, that's just me and my wild, radical ideas.

Then, enter the world of new mommy message boards.  You've got CDing, BFing, BTDT, FF, ERF, FF, and so on and so forth.  The lingo used is enough to make a hormonal pregnant lady run for the hills screaming!

Add in texting and IMing, with its LOLing (who really actually means LOL when they say it?), BRB, AFK, TTYL, G2G, ILY...


DVD, SCUBA, MP3...I should write a song!! What gobbilty gook!

We update our Facebooks and Twitters for everything from the thrilling fact that we are doing laundry to play-by-plays of our labor (thank God for that epidural)!  I'm not complaining or claiming innocence in these matters-I love facebook and the ability to share all the wonderful moments in life with people near and far.  Sometimes, I just think it all becomes a little impersonal.  


I want to sit among my friends and family and colleagues and have meaningful, productive, memorable conversations...


Unfortunately, it is time to unwind and wrap up for the evening, so I will leave you with this.


TTFN! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Babies

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

San Pellegrino, Juicy Juice, and Gerber--oh my!