"Giving liberates the soul of the giver." -Maya Angelou

Yesterday, as I was headed to the veterinarian with my diarrhea-vomiting dog, I was talking with my mom on the phone.  She proceeded to tell me that her good friend Z (not her real name) had called in tears, telling my mom that she had lost her brother earlier that morning.  He had just come to visit with her earlier in the month.  He suffered a heart attack, but he came out of the surgery and appeared to be making a recovery.  Then, he coded and died.

My mom has often told me about the strength, guts, and kindness that Z has had throughout her life, even through the hardest of times.  I've actually met Z and her daughter, and they are just the loveliest people.  Sadly, Z lost her job (where my mom used to work with her) earlier this year.  She didn't deserve to lose her job-she got laid off not based on her work or years in the company.  She lost her job because she (much like myself) stands up and says something when she sees that things are not going the way they should.  A whistle blower.  

I got to thinking about the whole situation, and it made me think of The Bloggess who wrote recently about a chain of generosity that stemmed from a generosity of her own.  She gave away 20 Amazon.com gift cards to people who commented on her blog with an explanation of why this year they are not able to provide gifts for Christmas for their families.  Everyone was so touched, that people started donating their own money to help commenter #21, #35, and so on.  (I highly recommend you read the full story).

My friends are very kind, generous, lovely, warm, and overall amazing individuals.  So I thought, "Why don't I put Z's story out there and see if anyone can give."  Sure enough, I started getting responses.  Christmas and the holiday season is a very stressful and tight time for many families, so I am amazed to say that the people in my life (and people that know them) have contributed $120...and that's just the cash in my hands, not including the cash people have "pledged" so to speak that I am still working on getting from them. 

How incredible!  I absolutely love that people who don't know Z (and probably never will even meet her) were able to give so generously from their hearts.  People empathize with her situation, can put themselves in it, and can be grateful for their own ability to give-even if only a 'meager' $5-$10.  Let me tell you, it adds up.  Every little bit counts.


There are few things in my life that bring me the joy and satisfaction that I get out of helping people, standing up for people, and giving in any way I can.  If I ever became wealthy, my joy would be in giving most of that fortune away.  But that isn't likely, but that won't stop me from giving all that I can.  My time, my ear, my money, my possessions.


A local school was recently collecting items for their students for the holidays.  One student was requesting hygiene products.  You know me with my couponing, I got a couple of everything from razors to shampoo to toothpaste together and made sure it got to the school.  How it broke my heart to find out that the recipient of this gift is actually homeless...I gave a good amount, but I would have emptied my stash of products if I'd known the extent of this youngster's struggle.  And that's all they asked for...just the bare necessities that most of us take soooooooooooooooooooooooo for granted.  


People can be mean, nasty, cruel, and hateful.  I believe that most people are really good though.  I think we could all stand to hear more good news.  My family and friends have benefited from the kindness of strangers, and I know we're not the only ones. Those little, seemingly insignificant acts of generosity...they save people.  They take people from the brink of despair and utter hopelessness, and they save them.  The brilliant thing is that I think by giving, it saves us just as much, if not more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Babies

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

Neglecting Mama