Pet Peeves

As a teacher, one thing I have discovered that has made my relationship with my students better and more productive is to tell them my pet peeves.  Each teacher (read: person) is so different, so best to let my kiddos know the things that drive me bonkers.  The students respond well and understand because they, too, have pet peeves of their own.

Recently, I read an article online or in a magazine (or God knows where) about taking care of ourselves the way we take care of our toddlers.  For example, I know if Ayla hasn't had a good nap, she's likely to have a meltdown.  For many of us, we have our own needs that must be met before we are worth two poops to anyone else.  Naps, a close watch on our blood sugar, a moment to unwind...whatever.

Here are some of my pet peeves...
1. People who type in all caps, in text lingo, or with words such as "dat, grl, whatvr, imna."  It just hurts my brain and pisses me off to be frank.  I know too many intelligent people who, through their typing, come across as though they have an IQ at least 20 points lower than average.
2. Babies improperly fastened in their car seats.  At this point, I realize that even though research states that rear facing babies are 500% safer in a car, people are going to do what they are going to do.  At least make sure your child's chest clip is in the right place, that the straps on their harness are not twisted, and that they straps are pulled so snugly that you cannot pinch any excess belt between your fingers.  Otherwise, I figure people might as well just start driving with their babies in their laps...
3. People who don't know when to stop with a joke.  I think it is great to be able to laugh at one's self, but when a person has had enough of being the butt of a joke, let it go.
4. Most drivers.  I am so sick of being cut off by assholes that are in such a rush to beat me to the red light 100 yards away.  You know what buddy, go for it.  But when I'm in the slow lane and you cut me off-you're going to get a big thumbs up from me for being SO AWESOME.  I also love people who don't use their turn signals and drive with wildly dangerous, unsecured loads in the back of their trucks.  Don't even get me started on trucks.  Just because you have testicles hanging from your hitch and wheels the size of my SUV doesn't mean you're cool.  In fact, I know that you're most likely a tool with a lack of brains and common courtesy.
5. People who touch your pregnant belly and/or infant.  And while I'm at it, how about people who ask you how you're feeling when you're pregnant.  Don't reply with a simple "Tired" because their voice will mimic Darth Vader as they reply, "You think you're tired now?  JUST YOU WAIT!" as if you've offended them by getting pregnant and admitting being tired even though you have a tiny human sucking everything in your body from your memory to your lunch to your bladder function!
6. People who are constantly trying to one up those around them.  For some people, they have to know everything, be best friends with everyone, and have the best of everything.  Whatever.


Things I need to function properly...
1. Sleep.  I need either a very good night's sleep (7-8 hours ideally) or I need a power nap to make it through the day without biting someone's face off.
2. Chapstick.  If my lips are dry, I can't focus on anything else.
3. Clean feet.  I can be in desperate need of a shower, but if my feet are clean, I feel 100 times better.  Nothing worse than dirty feet!
4. Affection.  Once I read that in order to maintain optimal health, people need on average a total of 8 hugs a day.  People who know me know I'm a hugger, perhaps for the aforementioned reason.
5. Positivity.  For the upcoming year, I hope to surround myself with positive people.  Now, I don't mean people who are constantly spewing sunshine and pooping rainbows.  I just mean that I'd prefer to be surrounded by people who don't "woe is me" and make excuses for everything in their life.  I want to be inspired the people around me to take action, be better, claim my happiness and make changes where they need to be made.


Give the people in your life a break-tell them what you need and what your pet peeves are.  Treat yourself with the care and sensitivity you would a temperamental two-year old.  Thank me later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surreal

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

Neglecting Mama