"You feel this way because you're a parent."

"You're right. You are absolutely right. Cars are not safe for children. Ok, neither are bookcases or squirrels, strong winds, people who sneeze. They're all going to get your baby. But honey you don't feel this was because you were in an accident. You feel this way because you are a parent." -Dr. Miranda Bailey, Grey's Anatomy

Tonight on Grey's, Callie freaked out when it was time for her and baby Sofia to go home.  She said it wasn't safe for her out there.  That the last time she was in a car (in utero) they were both almost killed. (Maybe someone should tell Callie about how rear facing is 5 times safer!)  To which Dr. Bailey replied with the quote listed above.

What parent doesn't feel that way?  In a world of natural disasters, predators, household dangers, and other various scary things, how couldn't you?
As a mom, I have experienced many worries.

I've worried about if Ayes is eating enough.
I've worried about if I might accidentally drop Ayla (when she was an infant...although it is more likely I'll drop her now at her whopping 30 lbs!)
I've worried about Ayla breathing right while she's sleeping (I think she'll be 15, and I'll still be checking her breathing).
I've worried about how Boo would do with Ayla, and then about how Oscar would do when we brought him home.
I've worried about Ayla falling off the couch.
I've worried about Ayla pinching her fingers in her high chair (and am very sorry that I accidentally pinched her pudgy belly just days ago).
I've worried about a random hair getting tangled around her toe, causing near loss of the toe.
I've worried about my inability to breastfeed her successfully.
I've worried about not holding her enough (but never worried about holding her too much!)
I've worried about how she will adjust to daycare.
I've worried about her growing up too fast.

To sum it up, I've pretty much worried about every bookshelf, squirrel, and gust of wind since the day she was born almost 2 years ago.  

But I've very happy to report that she hasn't been attacked by any squirrels lately.

She has had bumps and bruises.
She's suffered through teething.
She's gotten mad many times for not getting what she wants (candy?) when she wants it (right now!)
She has peed through countless diapers.
She has tasted dog poop (how have I never written a blog about that story...mini blog story to follow soon!)
She has found a hidden sippy cup and taken a drink, to which she replied "Old."  (Note to organic milk mamas: it doesn't take more than a few hours for organic milk to get nasty.  Gold star of freshness-lack of preservatives and other junk in it!)

She is happy, healthy, funny, spirited, intelligent, and a million other amazing adjective words.
I still worry about her growing up too fast.

Note to mommies everywhere:  Stop worrying so much!  You're doing a good job!  You love your baby, protect your baby, and you know how to the do the job you've been tasked with.  Go kiss those sweet cheeks and breathe in that fresh baby smell while it lasts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Babies

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

San Pellegrino, Juicy Juice, and Gerber--oh my!