Puppy love

If you have ever perused Craigslist, you have probably seen the plethora of cats and dogs being given away because the owners "don't have the time to give him/her the attention he/she deserves."  Or they've had children and no longer can care for their pet.  The list goes on and on.
 
The people I actually feel bad for are the ones who can no longer afford to feed their pets.  Or people with pets who don't respond to training and are capable of causing physical harm to family members. 

I'm not saying the decision to get rid of a pet comes easily.  I know it is heart-wrenching.  Growing up, I watched my dad get rid of dogs we had for various reasons.  I hated it.  The day we had to take MY dog, Bo Jangles, to the animal shelter, I was heartbroken.  I was 4.  I will never forget that day.

Is it hard to give animals the love and attention they deserve?  Yes.  We certainly struggle in our own way.  We know our dogs are chubby and ornery because they don't get walked enough.  But we know they have a big backyard to play in, lots of toys to play with, and they have each other, which is a huge blessing.

In times when finances are difficult, I understand that buying pet food, medicine, toys, and other essentials can be a huge strain.  As I've mentioned before, I've had times where I wondered which I'd have to give up-putting gas in my car or buying groceries.  Luckily, we've always gotten by and are surrounded by supportive family and friends.
It breaks my heart and at times angers me to see people getting rid of their pets.  Trust me, I understand wanting to.  After having toy after toy and shoes upon shoes destroyed by little Oscar, I have hastily posted on Facebook that I'm selling him.  That I'm over it, for real this time.  But even in those very angry moments, I know that I will not get rid of him.

I love him.  Ayla loves him.  He poses no threat to anyone in our family, and he has helped calm Boo's extreme anxiety issues in a huge way.  He is a family member.  Same goes for Boo.  Boo went through those unbearable puppy years where she destroyed things (including a pair of pants from Brandon's new suit years ago) and pooped everywhere and just plain acted a fool.  But she is our first baby.
She is the best dog in the world now.  I am so glad we had patience with her.  The money and time invested in training classes was well worth it.  The classes were frustrating; she was always the "Marley" of the class.  On more than one occasion, I cried during class because she just wasn't doing (fill in the blank) correctly.

She's watched over Ayla as an infant, coming and barking at us if Ayla made a peep while we actually dared walk away to use the bathroom or shower.  Now, she patiently lays on the floor while Ayla rides her like a horse.  She is always eager to help clean up Ayla (and the floor) after dinner.  Boo and I have a habit of taking naps together.  When Oscar gets on my nerves, Boo knows it and drags him away to go wrestle.
Oscar, well, he's getting better.  He destroys less things around the house as days go by, he isn't pottying in the house, and recently, he has shown me that with his response to commands using good treats, he is highly trainable.  I won't give up on him.  And I won't put Ayla through the pain of giving up a pet that was brought into the family, meant to be a lifelong member.

I hate to think of the day that we lose our puppies...the day when we have to say goodbye.  It will break our hearts.  But at least I will know when they leave this earth that we created years of memories and love with them because even death cannot take those things away.  Our animals will know that they are loved, no matter what, just like a parent loves a child no matter how much mischief they get into.

Comments

  1. I love this post. We keep talking about getting a puppy, but we have a small checklist of things we want to do around the house beforehand. (Mainly, installing a fence) I keep thinking about how tough the puppy stage is, how destructive they are... and then I remember that is half of the adventure. My pets are part of my family, and I love that yours are as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered getting an older dog...maybe one that is 3-4 years old? The older dogs get, the less likely they are to get adopted. When the time in our life comes around again to get dogs, that is probably what we'll do. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surreal

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

Neglecting Mama