Sum-sum-summertime!

I've been sitting here for the last 18 or so minutes, just thinking.  Not tired.  Not thinking of anything in particular.  Just sitting, sleeplessly.

Its funny how my summer already feels like its slipping away from me so quickly.  It has hardly begun!  Yet the end of July brings back to work, and I cannot say I am looking forward to it.  Summer, however, has been a transition for me as always.  I can't even remember how we spent last summer, to be honest!

With the end of going to Auntie Dan's house and the beginning of being home for the summer, we've gone through some adjustments to our typical "routine" (not that there was much of one to begin with).  First of all, my little bitty (is not so little) has decided that she wants to wake up as soon as she hears me pee.  So...I lay in bed, full bladder, hoping to catch a few more moments of rest.  Always, and I mean always, when she hears me pee (our bedroom shares a wall with hers and apparently I pee loud??), she starts calling, "Hey Mama?  Mom? (louder) Mama!?"

As soon as I get her, she tells me, "Hold," and once I'm holding her one of two things, "Watch Shrek" (again???) or "Milk."


So, she gets her milk and we usually watch a movie.  (I know, I know...bad mommy).  She will gather up all her Toy Story "heroes" and "villains" to sit with her.  I try to make her a good healthy breakfast of some sort, which she usually refuses to eat.  Or, in super bad mommy mode, I give her a (gasp) pop-tart, which she tries to pick all the filling out of.


Side story:  A couple of mornings ago, Brandon wanted to sleep in, and since he always lets me, I agreed (sadly).  Ayla decided she wanted to wear undies, so I put them on her.  While I was making her eggs, she came over saying, "Makkie, makkie" (nakey aka naked).  She was butt naked.  Okay, whatever.  Keep making eggs.  Then she started whining saying, "Ew, ew!"  I figured she peed, which has happened with our potty attempting this summer.  Nope, she dropped a huge poopy on the floor, then stepped in it.  Great.  As I'm coming over to get her (once the stove is off), Oscar lunges in, wanting to have a little lick.  So I shoo him away and pick her up like a sack of potatoes, followed by picking up the huge turd with a tissue.  We go to the bathroom, where I put her on her potty and get rid of the poop.  I'm cleaning her up, but I run out of wipes.  I tell her to sit while I get more wipes.  "Yeah okay," her reply.  By the time I come back around the corner with wipes, she said, "I pee."  Sure did.  On the floor and rug in the bathroom.  When the potty is 2 feet away.  Superb.


I told Brandon he was never allowed to sleep in again.


Anyway, back to the changes we're going through.  Ayla eats (or not) and plays a little, we read some books, maybe do some coloring.  We've thrown in some play dates and zoo trips to stay busy (the busier the better) also.  But she doesn't want to nap.  I'd be okay with it except that she gets whiny and grouchy, like a toddler who NEEDS a nap.  Mommy needs her to nap!  Somehow, she's decided that since she sleeps till 7:30 instead of being woken up at 6:30 to go to Danni's house, her nap needs to be pushed back from 9:30ish until 3:00.  What??  What the heck??  Mama is not loving this whole nap change-a-roo situation.


After about a week watching movies all day in our pajamas, I decided it was best for my mental health to stay busy.  Somehow, staying in pj's and accomplishing nothing more than brushing my teeth makes me feel so depressed, listless, and BLAH.  Since we've been arranging for play dates, things have been much better (minus the nap sitch).  We've been to the park, swimming, and to the zoo more than once.  We're also trying out Gymboree this week, which should be fun.  I'm just not sure its in our budget (wedding costs!), but I'm not sure we can afford to pass it up if she loves it like I think she will.


I've read some good books so far this summer, and I see a return trip to the library around the corner too.  I've also played around with the idea of trying to take Ayla to the free summer movies since she has a new found love for movies!


Can I mention the fact that it is so hard to consume only 1200 calories a day while being off work all day, every day?  Yeah, losing weight sucks, and I'm not very good at it (obviously after my whole "I'm-so-fat cryfest" the other day).


Stay at home moms, my hats off to you.  You are my hero today and just about every day.  Working moms, my hats off to you as well...it is so hard to be missing all these moments in exchange for the "daily grind."  What's the solution?  The in between??

Comments

  1. Staying busy is the only way to stay sane! :) And for what it's worth, both of my boys pulled a nap "switcharoo" on me at 2 years old as well. Usually, they would/will nap about 6 hours after getting up in the morning. So, if we get up at 8am, they want to nap about 2pm. That's IF we stay home all day. On the days that we are out and about, as soon as we hit the interstate, they are both out cold. In those cases, we may have a short late afternoon nap for Tanner (my 2yr old) because he turns into a grouch. Mason (the 4yr old) is pretty much past the point of napping during the day. He usually wants to sleep at like 5pm or something ridiculous which I refuse to let him do. So, most days I just do "quiet time" up in his bedroom for a little bit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Babies

"The great joy in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

San Pellegrino, Juicy Juice, and Gerber--oh my!